So This Is My Why
Host & Producer
I’m Ling Yah, the host and producer for the So This Is My Why podcast.
Born and raised in the City of Cats (aka “Kuching”) in the island Borneo in East Malaysia, I now work as a lawyer in Kuala Lumpur – the capital city of Malaysia.
Staying static has never been my thing. Whether it’s:
- learning a new thing – running a podcast!
- going on adventures – e.g. Mario go-karting in Tokyo, glacier hiking in Iceland or journeying up to Everest Base Camp when COVID-19 turned into a global pandemic (which I write about in my travel blog here); or
- meeting new people to learn about their stories – what motivates, inspires and moulded them into the person they are today.
Why did I start this podcast?
Because of one question that kept hanging over me: Who am I?
And by that extension, what do I want to do? What is my “why” & how do I even begin to find it?
I quickly realised that I wasn’t alone. Many of my friends and colleagues felt the same. Call it a millenial midlife crisis if you want, but the struggle is real.
But I also knew that for as many people struggling to answer that question, there were others who had found it. Or had always known. Whether that was by change or a gradual realisation, they had found that thing that got them out of bed raring to go, knowing that this was what they wanted. Their purpose.
And I wanted to know how they had done it.
Expect candid discussion on topics like:
- finances – how much does a Hollywood stunt actress earn when she first starts out? Or a freelance artist who knows no one in the industry?
- dealing with doubts and disapprovals, especially when in your childhood when your classmates decide to gang up against you for being “different” (aka intellectually brilliant);
- how to gather a diverse group of strangers together to create some of the most epic, fantasy-driven, tie-a-model-to-a-shipwreck-in-Bali; and
- forge a unique career as an artist despite knowing no one in the industry?
These are all questions that we deal with, and more, each week. With fresh episodes released every Sunday.
START HEREIf you’re new to the So This Is My Why podcast, head over HERE to learn everything else you need to know about:
- the podcast
- the guests featured, and
- how you can get involved with the So This Is My Why community.
CLICK HERE to start listening to published So This Is My Why podcast episodes. New episodes are released every Sunday.
CLICK HERE for the weekly STIMY newsletter archive. And to subscribe.
Don’t forget to subscribe to your favourite podcast platform (e.g. Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher) to get alerts when new episodes are released!
CONTACT MEHave a comment or suggestion? Feel free to leave a review on Apple Podcast & you might get a shoutout in the next episode! Alternatively, you can also contact me here. P/S: Know someone you want to nominate for this podcast (including yourself!)? Use the contact page to let me know!
Do you see the awesome logo design for this podcast? It was created by my amazing friend and fellow East Malaysian, Joanne Chin, who is the founder of Ideology Studio. Leading a team of 7, Ideology Studio offers services including branding, logo design, social media content creation, marketing materials, prints design, motion graphics, food photography, videography, websites, project management and more.
Joanne has worked with over 130 clients since 2012, such as Bing House UK, Kre8 HK, Chef K China, Sabah State Government and more. In these few years, she has earned a reputation as someone who is creative, professional, productive and transparent. Joanne studied graphic design at Northumbria University, United Kingdom and Raffles Design Institute, Kuala Lumpur.
CLICK HERE to find out more about Ideology & get your next designs from!