Welcome to Episode 62!
Our guest for STIMY Episode 62 is Hawker Chef Chan Hon Meng.
Hawker Chef Chan Hon Meng is a Malaysian-born, Michelin-starred chef who is best known for serving the world’s least expensive Michelin-starred meal.
He won his first Michelin star back in 2016 for his $2.50 soy sauce chicken noodle dish, and proceeded to do so for the next four consecutive years. Since then, his chicken rice store has exploded from one store in Chinatown to a franchise restaurants in 7 countries & 17 outlets within 2 years. In Singapore alone, there are 6,000 stalls in over 100 hawker stalls.
Want to learn about new guests & more fun and inspirational figures/initiatives happening around the world?
Then use the form below to sign up for STIMY’s weekly newsletter!
You don’t want to miss out!!
Who is Hawker Chan?
In this episode, Hawker Chan shares:
- what it was like growing up in Ipoh, Malaysia;
- how he obtained his apprenticeship under a Hong Kong chef, where he learned and perfected his famed soya sauce chicken recipe;
- starting his Liao Fan Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle in Chinatown Complex Food Centre in 2019;
- what it was like first obtaining a Michelin star in 2016;
- how his business developed as a franchise;
- the impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on his business; and
- advice for others seeking to follow in his footsteps.
If you’re looking for more inspirational F&B stories, check out:
- Maurizio Leo: Founder of the Perfect Loaf – one of the top sourdough blogs around (two-time Saveur Magazine Blog Award winner; Editors’ and Readers’ Choice Awards 2016; Resident Bread Baker at Food52)
- Yi Jun Loh: Malaysian blogger, podcaster & writer
- Renyi Chin: Founder of MyBurgerLab, MyPizzaLab & MyBobaLab
- Darren Teoh: Founder & Head Chef of Dewakan – only Malaysian restaurant to make it to the 2019 Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants
If you enjoyed this episode with Hawker Chef Chan, you can:
Leave a Review
If you enjoy listening to the podcast, we’d love for you to leave a review on iTunes / Apple Podcasts. The link works even if you aren’t on an iPhone. 😉
If you’d like to support STIMY as a patron, you can visit STIMY’s patron page here.
Some of the things we talked about in this STIMY Episode can be found below:
- Hawker Chan
- Subscribe to the STIMY Podcast for alerts on future episodes at Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher & RadioPublic
- Leave a review on what you thought of this episode HERE or the comment section of this post below
- Want to be a part of our exclusive private Facebook group & chat with our previous STIMY episode guests? CLICK HERE.